Australian Food Systems Directory
Sustain has created a web-based tool in the form of an Australian Directory of people, organisations, projects and knowledge (research and policies), related to sustainable food systems.
To view and search for profiles, and to create a profile for yourself, your organisation, your projects, knowledge and food systems infrastructure, please visit the Directory or become a member.
What is this Directory for?
In creating and making available this tool, Sustain’s goals are to:
- Make the emerging sustainable food systems movement in Australia visible in its diversity and scope
- Identify and profile leading organisations and individuals, and document their affiliations and linkages across the food system
- Build food literacy amongst policy makers and the general public, and contribute to a greater awareness of the benefits of healthy, sustainable and fair food systems around Australia
- Create a networking tool that allows organisations and individuals working within food systems to identify and connect with each other
- Inspire and equip users of the Directory with a tool that can help them to bring about change in the food systems that they interact with or wish to become involved in
Who is this Directory for?
A primary audience for this tool is staff in various levels of local government, government agencies and related institutions. Other audiences and users may include academics, community groups and interested individuals.
How will the Directory be developed and used?
The Directory will be developed with the involvement of our member organisation, leading sustainable food systems organisations, researchers and policy-makers populating the map with entries. These entries will make visible the incredible work that is being done in sustainable food systems and connect new and existing projects to each other, sharing knowledge and inspiring action along the way.
Funding and development
The initial creation of this Directory was made possible by a grant from the Myer Foundation. The Directory was created by Patrick O’Callaghan of Local Food Loop, and the initial population of the Directory was the work of Vivien Yii and Stefanie Carino of Youth Food Movement (Melbourne), as well as Henry Crawford.