Sustain: The Australian Food Network and the Just Food Collective are partnering to deliver a food justice, education and gardening program with young people living in Whittlesea and Darebin. Funded by VicHealth’s Jumpstart initiative, this project will connect two groups of culturally diverse young people to their food traditions through growing, preparing, cooking and sharing fresh produce.
From October 2022 to May 2023 the two groups will take part in six two-hour educational food growing and cooking workshops. Participants will receive a stipend of $30 for every workshop attended.
What to expect:
As a participant in this project you will:
- Work with Just Food Collective to engage in a food justice, gardening and cooking learning journey.
- Have the opportunity to connect with a community of other young people, gain cultural food knowledge and learn about local food systems, health and wellbeing, and sustainability.
- Contribute to a published zine (booklet) and a film about the project’s journey, which will be shared with a wider audience via Sustain and Just Food’s online platforms..
This funding is intended to benefit young people (16 - 24 years old) who are culturally and linguistically diverse, and have experienced challenges and/or barriers in obtaining employment and/or accessing educational opportunities.
The project is intended to benefit people aged 16 - 24 years old with a connection (i.e. living / studying / working) to the City of Darebin OR City of Whittlesea.
You will need to:
- Attend six two-hour workshops (located in either Preston or Epping, depending on which group you join).
- Participate in garden maintenance, cooking sessions and material creation (zine + film).
- Keep in regular contact with the project team and the other group members.
- Come with an open mind and a willingness to learn!
Dates / timeline:
- August 15th 2022 - EOI applications open for submissions
- October 25th 2022 - EOI applications close
- October 31st 2022 - Successful applicants notified
- November 15th 2022 - 1st workshop held.
- December 2022 - May 2023 - Remaining workshops, approx. every 4-6 weeks.
- June 2023 - Publication and release of project zine and film.