Darebin Information And Volunteer Resource Service
DIVRS Urban Food Program
The DIVRS Urban Food Program (UFP) supports a vision of local food systems which are secure, sustainable and equitable, to develop healthy communities. We are a community volunteer led program that sources and grows nutritious fresh food for redistribution to people experiencing food insecurity in the city of Darebin.
- 5 million Australians experienced food insecurity in the last 12 months (Foodbank Hunger report 2019)
- 8% of households in Darebin report running out of food & not having enough money to buy more (Darebin Health & Wellbeing Plan)
Our projects and initiatives engage community through promoting sustainable home, community and school garden programs focused on urban food production.
We continue to develop new opportunities through partnerships and networks to improve sustainable gardening practices, reduce waste and enhance community wellbeing. Our volunteers propagate edible plant seedlings on site to support our garden related projects.
Current projects include:
- Darebin Fruit Squad – Harvesting excess produce from public and private fruit trees reducing waste.
- Darebin Veg Squad – households and schools growing and donating fresh produce for emergency relief.
- Back Yard Basics – showcasing sustainable gardening in action.
- East Preston Community Garden – 9 Newton St East Preston.
All food grown and harvested is redistributed through our emergency relief program to Darebin families experiencing food insecurity.
DIVRS Emergency Relief program operates Monday to Thursday 9.30am – 12.30.
Darebin residents experiencing food insecurity can access food parcels plus fresh fruit and vegetables.